God writes a lot of comedy... the trouble is, he's stuck with so many bad actors who don't know how to play funny. - Garrison Keillor

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Choux choux away

I can't stop thinking about what recipe should I do for my Classical Pastry & Dessert practical test in two weeks time. So many ideas running through my head now. After watching Yumeiro Pastissiere, I got this sort of a new urge or energy to make desserts as good as in that anime. You can learn a lot from this anime. Simple but yet important technique in baking pastry and desserts. 

My initial idea was to make Churros, a Mexican/Spanish fried doughnuts. The dough is made using the pate a choux recipe. You can either include or omit the usage of eggs. Depends on one's preferences. But after I saw how they make 'shukurimu' or 'cream puffs', I kinda wanna try to make one. Instead of making normal cream puffs, I wanna challenge myself to make 'croquembouche'. I'm always afraid of handling sugary work in this 'croquembouche' crafting. I should practice and confront my fears towards this croquembouche giant. Hahaha~    

Since we are required to make two types of dessert, hot and cold. Since Churros/Croquembouche can be considered as hot dessert, I'll be making Crepes Cake or 'Mille-Crepe' Cake in French. Crepes, in my opinion is one of the versatile type desserts. You can make crepe suzette or simply stack those crepes together and form a cake. I think not many of us are familiar with crepe cake because it's a painstaking job to do just by layering the crepes one by one. I never made crepes cake before so why not try it now. 

Can't wait for the actual test day. Hehe~ I should be nervous but can't help being excited.

Churros and Chocolate Dipping sauce

Croquembouche (made by stacking each cream puff/profiteroles and covered by caramel/toffee)

Mille Crepe Cake


No comments: